The Hispanic Chamber of Commerce-Silicon Valley is hiring a Corner-store Conversion Specialist to assist us with our Healthy Corner Store Program. Please read the job description below.
Role and Responsibilities
This position will work with business advisors to maintain relationships with corner store owners, local suppliers, vendors, and community partners to implement sustainable strategies for bringing fresh produce and Fun. Fast. Fresh snacks and other healthy foods into corner-stores. This position will assess corner store participation compliance and assist with store development activities as assigned. Data collection, entry, maintenance and reporting are a primary function of this position.
- Develop script as a baseline for advisors when introducing the HCS program.
- Partner with Business Advisors to introduce HCS program to participating Store Owners.
- Regularly assess corner-stores for compliance with participation requirements and train owners how to use program resources, promotion material, and Sell Healthy Toolkits.
- Complete inventory forms for each store joining program.
- Collect data from each store and upload to Google Drive to share with partners.
- Prepare updates and reports as needed for funder and partners.
- Research DEH requirements for stores selling produce.
- Recruit new stores to participate in program.
- Create resource binders and pamphlets for store owners
- Provide technical assistance to store owners to assist them with sourcing and distribution options, marketing techniques, product menus, and sales & inventory tracking.
- Implement the Healthy Corner-store certification program in participating corner-stores through store owner trainings, implementing marketing strategies, and performing store compliance checks.
- Visit store owners regularly to assess their progress and address any questions/issues. (Each of the 21 participating store owner at least once per month)
- Collect and enter corner-store data for reporting project partners, and to develop analysis to further improve program components.
- Collaborate with Working Partnerships on Community outreach activities, such as store mini launches and radio coverage.
- Source, research and engage produce distributors to provide fruits/vegetables to corner store owners. Utilizing other Health Trust programs such as Fresh Cart,Veggielution Community Farms.
- Coordinate store owners to purchase collectively in order to meet distributors’ volume requirements. Determine drop-off points and store pick-up schedule at drop-off points.
- Research price points for healthy foods at cornerstores and report back to funder and distributors.
- Develop Product menu of fun, fast, fresh snacks, recipes, etc.
- Participate in weekly calls with funder and technical advisors, biweekly meetings with business advisors, and monthly Healthy Food Partner Collaborative Meetings. Meet with Program Manager/Director at least once weekly (in person/phone) to discuss progress of program implementation.
- Other duties as required.
- Spanish proficiency is required (written and verbal)
- Experience in fresh food retail, small business development, or social enterprises
- Interest or experience in community and economic development
- Experience with community based work and community outreach
- Proficient in word, excel, publisher, Google docs, WebCats, and electronic communication.
- Strong organizational, program management, writing, and communication skills
- experience in organizing groups with complex schedules. able to multitask
- An applicant with an advanced degree is desirable but not required
HOW TO APPLY
Please send a resume and coverletter to Emma Gonzalez, Associate Director/Program Manager of Hispanic Chamber of Commerce/Silicon Valley, at email@example.com. No calls please.
Corner-store Job Description EH [Word .doc]