We are so excited you’d like to join SVHC VISTA! We will recruit members from June through August for each upcoming program year.
How to Apply
All Silicon Valley HealthCorps VISTA positions are full-time, year-long positions beginning in August and continuing for one year. Benefits include a $18,181/year living allowance, $3,470/year housing subsidy, post-service education award ($5,500) or an end of year stipend ($1500), professional development opportunities, 10 personal and 10 sick days, and healthcare benefits*. Apply at http://www.nationalservice.gov/programs/americorps/americorps-vista/joinamericorpsvista and choose the appropriate job listing in San Jose, CA. Contact Katherine Aguirre, Silicon Valley Health Corps VISTA Supervisor, at KatherineA@healthtrust.org with any questions.
*Visit http://www.vistacampus.gov/resources/vista-healthcare-options for more information about healthcare
In order to apply for VISTA, the following minimum qualifications must be met:
- Be at least 18 years old upon entering VISTA training. There is no upper age limit.
- Be a U.S. citizen or have permanent resident status.
- Not be listed in the National Sex Offender Registry database as having been convicted of sex-related crimes.
- Be willing to submit fingerprints for a criminal history background check.
- Be in a position to offer full-time service for one year.
- Be able to relate previous education, training, military, or work experience, and demonstrate other relevant skills or interests necessary to perform a specific VISTA assignment.
- Be willing, to the maximum extent practicable, to live among and at the economic level of the low-income people served by VISTA projects.
- Understand that VISTA is a full-time 12 month commitment and are required to serve an average of 40 hours per week.
- VISTAs are allowed to attend classes; however their studies must not interfere with VISTA responsibilities. A VISTA must discuss taking classes with his/her supervisor before enrolling. If classes do interfere, the VISTA may be asked to either withdraw from the course(s) within one week or ask to end their service.
- VISTAs are allowed part-time outside employment; however under no circumstances may a VISTA member be an employee of or a contractor for the sponsor or project to which he/she is assigned to.
- VISTAs cannot be subjects of legal proceedings (civil or criminal) that may consume time needed for VISTA assignments. VISTA service cannot be used to satisfy service requirements of parole or probation.
- VISTAs must attend a 4 day Pre-Service Orientation before beginning their year of service.
We recruit new members from June to August each year of the grant period.
What are the member benefits?
Benefits for SVHC VISTAs include $18,181/year living allowance, $3,470/year housing subsidy, $5,550 post-service education award or a $1,500 end of year stipend, health care benefits, professional development opportunities, and 10 personal and 10 sick days.
Visit http://www.vistacampus.gov/resources/vista-healthcare-options for more information about VISTA healthcare.
How long is the program?
The program is a year-long program beginning and ending in August. VISTA is a 12 month full-time commitment.
What do members do?
Seven Members are placed at 5 partner sites in various positions focusing on capacity building and leveraging resources around obesity prevention in low-income populations. VISTAs are required to serve an average of 40 hours per week, but may serve in excess of that amount focusing on capacity building efforts. To read more about the different sites, check out our partners.
How do members get placed in partner sites?
Members are placed at partner sites through a mutual selection process. Applicants apply to the site specific positions they find the most interesting. Each site can then choose to follow up and interview applicants that are the best fit for their position. After an interview and background check process, a candidate will be chosen as an AmeriCorps VISTA member. Before beginning on site, the member will go through a four day CNCS sponsored Pre Service Orientation. If applicants apply to multiple sites, it is possible that they will have multiple interviews and even a few different offers from which they can choose their site placement.
Can I have a job while serving in the program?
VISTAs are allowed part-time outside employment; however under no circumstances may a VISTA member be an employee of or a contractor for the sponsor or project to which he/she is assigned to. Remember, VISTA is a full-time commitment and VISTAs are required to work an average of 40 hours per week during the program hours of their site. If a VISTA has a part-time job, this should not interfere with his/her service responsibilities.
Does the program provide housing?
The program does not provide housing options for members, but partners will contribute a housing subsidy of $3,470/year per VISTA that will be paid directly to the VISTAs’ landlords.
Whom can I contact with additional questions?
If you have questions about Silicon Valley HealthCorps VISTA, please contact Katherine Aguirre at KatherineA@healthtrust.org.