For older adults who are having trouble navigating the complex system of information and benefits available to them, help may be as close as their neighborhood community center.
The Senior Peer Advocate (SPA) Program trains and certifies older adult volunteers to provide information and assistance tailored specifically to seniors and their families. SPA volunteers work at community centers throughout Santa Clara County and come from a variety of cultural and language backgrounds. Whether information is needed on Medicare, MediCal, nutrition sites, senior legal services, Social Security, in-home caregiving or transportation, SPA volunteers can help link people to the services they need for themselves, their neighbors or loved ones.
SPA volunteers meet monthly to support one another and to share their experiences and tips on new resources that have proven helpful to their clients. They are partners with the City of San Jose and their community centers, as well as senior centers in Cupertino, Morgan Hill, Santa Clara and Sunnyvale.
How can SPA volunteers help me?
If you are an older adult in Santa Clara County, SPA volunteers can help you navigate and find help. They provide information in various languages and help connect to many community resources, services and benefits such as:
- Food and Nutrition
- Health Care
- Health Promotion
- Caregiving and Family Support
- Legal Services
- Social/Educational Activities
What do SPA volunteers do?
- Assist senior center staff by providing information and referral to those seeking available resources, by appointment and walk-in.
- Commit to 20 hours of initial training by The Health Trust to learn about most-needed resources in Santa Clara County.
- Commit weekly to 2-4 hours of service to seniors or their caregivers.
- Attend monthly 2-hour trainings to continue the learning process and share best practices.
What are the benefits of becoming a SPA volunteer?
- Be part of an innovative approach to serving Santa Clara County seniors and their caregivers.
- Learn about valuable local information and assistance services for seniors in Santa Clara County
- Meet new people and make new friends.
- Contribute to your own health by being engaged in your community.
What are the benefits of becoming a SPA partner
Having a SPA volunteer on site makes a senior center a more valuable neighborhood resource. SPA volunteers are trained and certified to provide the information and assistance seniors need, freeing paid staff to perform other duties.
To learn more about the SPA program, call 408.513.8730 or email: email@example.com.