Silicon Valley is a place of innovation, opportunity and affluence. On average, it is one of the healthiest, wealthiest places in the world. But not all residents of Silicon Valley share in that wealth – or that health. More than 13 percent of children in Santa Clara County are living in poverty. More than half of the adults are overweight or obese. Nearly half of the county’s older adults are considered impoverished. More than 19,000 adults and youth are homeless.
We at The Health Trust believe that if Silicon Valley is a community where innovation is changing the world, then it also can be a community where innovation changes the lives of everyone – especially our most vulnerable residents – for the better. That’s why our vision is a healthier Silicon Valley for everyone.
As we strive to make our vision reality, we reflect the values of Silicon Valley. When we tackle a problem, we take the broad view. We rely on expertise, partnerships and best practices to generate solutions that will have the greatest impact on those we serve. We invest in projects that are sustainable, show measurable results and provide the greatest return on investment for the community.
Through direct services, we are helping one person at a time. And through policy advocacy and grantmaking, we are changing the local environment to promote healthy eating, healthy aging and healthy living.
Initiatives of The Health Trust
The mission of the Healthy Eating Initiative is to ensure that all residents of Santa Clara County and Northern San Benito County access and consume, affordable, quality, nutritious food.
Learn more »
The mission of the Healthy Aging Initiative is to ensure that all older adults of Santa Clara County and Northern San Benito County are able to advocate for themselves and that they have access to coordinated healthcare and supportive services.
Learn more »
The mission of the Healthy Living Initiative is to ensure that health related policies and services exist so that race, language, income and age do not keep residents of Santa Clara County and Northern San Benito County from enjoying the healthiest lives possible.
Learn more »
A charitable foundation, The Health Trust was founded in 1996 from the sale of three local nonprofit hospitals. Since then, the organization has been a catalyst in Silicon Valley for community partnerships that identify health issues and work together to find innovative solutions.
- Respect: Appreciating the contributions of all and treating others the way we want to be treated
- Integrity: Serving with honesty, doing what we say we will do and taking responsibility for our actions
- Innovation: Committing to ongoing learning about best practices, our community, what is required for environmental change and then forging new paths to create that change
- Collaboration: Partnering with the community, leveraging resources and creating synergy; fostering teamwork among staff with our own organization
- Diversity: Valuing the differences, skills, strengths, and perspectives of all
- Stewardship: Using our resources prudently and nurturing our relationships in the community to be able to support and promote community health, now and for the future
The Health Trust maintains a policy of non-discrimination for all persons seeking access to services, employment, volunteer work or membership on a committee or governing body of The Health Trust.
The Health Trust’s practices shall not be influenced or affected by virtue of a potential or existing client’s, applicant’s, employee’s or participant’s race, color, marital status, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, or disability including HIV/AIDS; nor shall any practices be influenced by the disability of veterans, or veteran status.